Is it really all perspective? I know that last Mother's Day, I started the day with a positive outlook, that Don and I spent the day together, planted a tree, and felt good at the end of the day. This year, this Mother's Day, I felt rather sad. I know that part of it was because I have been ill for quite a while, and that I didn't have the energy stored up to deal with my emotions.
So, it (the holiday) got me thinking. What does it really mean to be a mother? A warm hug, knowing you are cared for, a reassuring glance or kind words...it all fits. A mother is nurturing, a mother is kindness, a mother is love and strength and beauty. I know that I am a mother. Just because there is no child on my lap, does not mean that I am not a mother. Just because I don't spend every day watching my child grow, does not mean I am not a mother. Just because my son is in an urn on my mantle, does not mean I am not a mother.
What about Mother Theresa? A mother to us all, right? After googling this phrase, I was surprised to find how many names came up. Some names were of women that I had never heard of before. Beside each name, was words of the woman's strength, courage, kindness and spirit. Each woman was capable of loving so many, and sharing her love with those around her, unconditionally. Isn't that truly what being a mother means? She doesn't act for fame or fortune, she acts out of the kindness of her heart, she acts based on instinct, she does this for the good of others, not out of fear. I have always felt the mother within me, and in recent years I have felt the need to spread my sense of nurturing with others. I do this, not because I am 'missing' that part of my life, but because this is who I am. I have been criticized and misunderstood, but as of today, I can tell you, that I will continue to be who I am...to care, to nurture and to love with my whole heart.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment